Thermal insulation

All residential buildings must have a reasonable level of thermal insulation. This insulation helps keep homes cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It also keeps power bills lower and conserves energy used for internal heating and cooling.

Insulation is required in floors, external walls and roofs or ceilings in accordance with the Building Code of Australia. All new dwellings must have a six star energy rating.

Air conditioning/cooling

Installing air conditioning or evaporative cooling in your home can be expensive. So it is important cooling is installed correctly.

For your protection, by law, people who install refrigerated air conditioning systems or evaporative cooling systems must be properly licensed and/or registered.

They must:

  • carry an official ID card from the Plumbing Industry Commission
  • provide you with a compliance certificate at the end of any job costing $500 or more.

The compliance certificate gives you 10 year protection in the event of any problems with the work.