Application forms available:


A detailed list of town planning fees is available here.

Information sheets

If you are planning on building, redeveloping, earthworks, subdividing or even putting up an advertising sign for your business, you may need help from Council and perhaps even a permit before you start your project. A range of information sheets are available to assist. 

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact Council’s Planning Unit for more information on 5481 2200 or 1300 666 535.


Planning permits are usually required for land subdivisions. The subdivision may be a complex new housing development or simply splitting two homes on one lot into two individually titled properties. Planning permits may also be needed to create new lots, realign boundaries, create or remove easements and remove restrictions.

The subdivision process involves three steps:

  1. getting a planning permit for your subdivision
  2. obtaining certification
  3. obtaining a statement of compliance.

If you need information or advice about applying for a subdivision planning permit, please contact the Shire of Campaspe’s Planning Unit.

Step 1: Planning permit for subdivision

You must apply to Council for a planning permit for your subdivision. As part of the application assessment, there may be referrals to servicing authorities and owners of affected properties may be notified. If the application meets the necessary requirements, a planning permit may be granted. The permit will include specific conditions for the subdivision which must be met.

Step 2: Certification

Certifying a plan of subdivision is an administrative step to ensure the subdivision plan meets requirements. The Plan of Subdivision for Certification is referred to the relevant servicing authorities who check whether their services will need easements. Once these authorities are happy, the Plan of Subdivision the plan can be certified. A certified plan is valid for five years. If the plan is not registered at the Titles Office within that time, the plan expires.

Step 3: Statement of Compliance

A Statement of Compliance is the final document in the subdivision process. It is needed so the subdivision can be registered at the Titles Office and the release of the new titles by the Titles Office.  A Statement of Compliance will not be issued until all conditions of the planning permit have been met. Usually these conditions require services and infrastructure to be put in place.


The Shire of Campaspe Council is an active partner of the SPEAR (Streamlined Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals) Subdivision program, an initiative launched by Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure (DTPLI).

Spear Subdivisions manages applications online, including lodgement, requests for further information, referrals, advertising, approvals and tracking of applications.

Click the icon to view current applications in the Shire of Campaspe and register to lodge a Subdivision Application/Certification online

Earthworks & whole farm plans

If you plan to establish a new farm, do irrigation or drainage works on your farm, or carry out earthworks in the Farming Zone or other areas of overlay, you may need a permit.

These type of works can affect the rate, flow or the discharge point of water on your property and affect salinity.

In this section, you will find information and forms for:

  • earthworks controls
  • whole farm plan applications.

Some farm plans don’t need a planning permit. You can find out more about exemptions through the Earthworks – Planning Permit Exemption form

Earthworks controls

The Shire of Campaspe, City of Greater Shepparton and Moira Shire share the same approach to earthworks controls within the region.

You may need a Council permit before undertaking earthworks. The reasons for this include:

  • land management, including long term sustainability and improved salinity
  • managing the drainage system so water flows reasonably well through the region
  • to have a shared approach to earthworks and drainage management
  • to allow floodplains to function.

You can also use this form to determine the need for a planning permit for:

  • earthworks
  • works within the Farming Zone
  • works within the Land Subject to Inundation Overlay
  • works within the Floodway Overlay  
  • works within the Salinity Management Overlay.

For more information, contact Council’s Planning Unit on 5481 2200 or 1300 666 535.

Whole farm plan applications

Before you start work on establishing a farm, you must have a whole farm plan, complete the whole farm plan application form and submit both to Council for approval.

These plans are needed to ensure the long term sustainability of agricultural land in the region.

Find you more through the Whole Farm Plan information sheet or contact Council's Planning Unit on 5481 2200 or 1300 666 535.


Landscape plan guide

Weblink resources

Campaspe planning scheme

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning - planning guide

Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal

Victorian legislation - Acts & statutory rules

Landata - Certificate of Title searches

Land Victoria - Property reports

Bushfire Management Overlay