Council has adopted a Customer Service Charter outlining its commitment to customers.

Find information about:

Customer service charter

The Customer service charter describes the experience you can expect from Campaspe Shire Council. It outlines council's service standards, commitment to customers and our expectations of our management and staff.

When you contact council

We will:

  • Greet you courteously and identify ourselves by name
  • Try to resolve your enquiry or respond to your request at the first point of contact, and if appropriate, provide you with a service request number for your reference
  • Provide you with the name of the department dealing with your enquiry, if  further action is required
  • Convey your details when transferring a call, so you don’t need to repeat information
  • Register your email, fax or letter on council’s document management system.

Our communication

We will:

  • Treat all our customers with respect and listen to their concerns or enquiries
  • Provide all letters, brochures, messages and other notices in plain English
  • Provide information which is concise and accurate
  • Provide access to interpreting and telephone typewriter services, if required.

Service standards

Our service targets are to:

  • Acknowledge correspondence received by mail or email within ten full working days
  • Respond to telephone messages within two full working days

Helping us to help you

When contacting council it is helpful if you:

  • Tell us who you are and if you represent a client or an organisation
  • Have relevant information available, such as an invoice number, service request number, and name and address
  • Treat council staff with respect, honesty and courtesy so we can deliver the best possible service for you.

If you are not satisfied?

If you are not satisfied with any part of your dealings with council or its staff, council has a complaints procedure.

Complaints should be forwarded in writing (which can be in the form of an email), and identified as a complaint. You should include your full name, contact details, your concern, how you wish to have the matter addressed, and include relevant documents or further details.

Council will acknowledge your complaint within ten days and advise the process to be followed.

If you are still not satisfied?

You can raise the matter with the Office of the Ombudsman, which is independent of the council. The Ombudsman’s office can be contacted on 1800 806 314, or at

Customer complaint process

The Customer complaint process has been developed with reference to the Ombudsman Victoria's Good Practice Guide to complaint handling for Victorian Public Sector Agencies and the Australian Standard. 

If you have a concern about the way we have provided a service, we encourage you to notify us so we can review the matter. While we aim to get it right the first time, we understand that things can sometimes go wrong. Your feedback assists us to improve our services to the community.

A dispute or complaint is defined as council failing to respond to a request for service. We have a simple four step Dispute Resolution Process in place to ensure you have an opportunity to have your issue investigated.

It is important to note that this process relates to services provided by council and does not cover decisions made by council at formal council meetings. If you have a complaint in respect of a councillor, please direct your concern to the Mayor. The Mayor will handle your complaint in accordance with the ‘Code of Conduct – Councillors’.

When dealing with your dispute

  • We will treat it in confidence
  • We will not discriminate against anyone for any reason
  • If we have made a mistake, we will apologise and put right what has gone wrong as quickly as possible.
  • We will use information gathered to improve our services in the future.

Our guarantee

We will acknowledge all written complaints within ten working days. We will investigate and respond to all complaints within 28 working days except for complicated issues when we will advise you of when you can expect a response.

What if I am still not satisfied?

We are confident the majority of complaints received can be resolved, however we recognise that we may not be able to satisfy every customer on every occasion.

If the complaint still remains unresolved you may wish to explore other avenues.

Victorian Ombudsman

The Ombudsman is an independent officer of the Victorian Parliament who investigates complaints about the state government departments, most statutory authorities and local government.

Phone:            03 9613 6222
Toll Free:        1800 806 314

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can help you resolve a wide range of disputes without having to take legal action.

Phone:             03 5440 6100